Thursday, November 27, 2008

More Training .... and More Beach !

I finally have a training routine that I am happy with and appears to be working. Based on 4 times a week at home, which does not include the times I train at club, this is what I am aiming for :
1X Jump Grids (from the Susan Salo DVD)
1X Double Box or 'related exercise' (from Greg Derrett DVD's)
1X Sequence from Clean Run or Dogsport or anywhere else where I happen to find a sequence
that I want to work
1X Speed exercise - maybe a speed circle or something else straightforward where the focus is
on opening out and really running.


In addition to this, we usually go out for a 2nd very brief training session on each day to focus on weaves or contacts. Both training sessions do not last much longer than 5 minutes.


Yesterday we worked on a spin off of the Power Paws 'W' pattern and this was a fun sequence to run. It looks a bit like this :


This is designed as an exercise to work weave entries. I also changed the order to incorporate a threadle between 3 and 4, and a send to the tunnel. There were quite a few other variations listed in the article, but at this stage I have only tried a couple of them. Nothing worse than long training sessions, so we might set it up again next week and try some others.


Atilla had no problems with the weaves as they are numbered here - I got a fast entry into 2 and then after 4 I front crossed for the weaves at 5. This was a harder entry but he made it easily - even though the first time he had a lot of speed and the first pole whacked him in the face ! Made sure that I rewarded after that set of weaves as I want him to stay in and weave fast, even if the poles hit him, this has been an area where we have had trouble in the past.


I also ran the exercise with Cruz and even though I thought it might be a little challenging for him, he had no difficulty with it. I did have to 'babysit' the weave entry at 5 a lot more than Atilla but for a pretty green dog, I was very happy with his performance.


The 'agility year' is winding down - last official training session tomorrow night and last trial the weekend after - although if it is too hot I won't run. I find that I am really flat in the heat and it rubs off on the dogs. Plus I worry about keeping them cool even under a gazebo.


We went to the beach again on Monday, Ocean Grove this time, and both kelpies had a ball.
Although I love living where I do, I would consider a move to be closer to the beach - it's such a great fitness thing for the kelpies to run along the sand, not to mention swimming. Plus it's good for me too. I seem to be able to walk much longer distances in a seaside environment.


Cruz checking out the rockpools and deciding that there was nothing in them to hold his interest.
The kelpies met another kelpie on the beach and even though I don't normally let them run around off lead with a strange dog, I made an exception this once. They ran and played together for ages - in the end the other owner had to put her dog back on lead to get them to stop playing and continue walking.

Atilla and Cruz chasing each other in and out of the water. Another exciting kelpie game.

Atilla posing amongst the seaweed - there was an incredible amount in places with some unbelievable colours.................. especially that shade of pink. Who says seaweed only comes in shades of brown and green ?


No comments:

Post a Comment