Saturday, November 13, 2010

Still More Rain - and a Totally Crappy Trial as well

Spring came for a few days and tricked us all into thinking that Winter was finally over.  I even got excited enough to take a few photos around the place as it looks nice when everything's green .... but then by the time Summer finally comes and it all browns off  I totally hate it and start to wish I lived somewhere else.
Luckily I only feel like that for one season a year as I so love it here the rest of the time.


Look - I even have a raised out of reach of dog pee vegie garden that's actually growing thanks to the rain.



It's nice to be able to play ball on grass instead of on bare dirt with clouds of dust flying up everywhere - the only challenge at the moment is avoiding the muddy bits.



Everywhere is green - apart from Cruz's self exercising track around the house paddock that is.
On the trialling front the year is nearly over and due to all the trials that were cancelled this Winter I hardly feel as if I have run at all.  Went to Sale for one day, bloody long drive and I was almost too tired to run by the time I arrived.  Getting up before 4am should be banned and if all the cancelled trials had taken place then there is no way I would have bothered, especially as I really don't like the ground there.

Cruz obviously agreed with me and his runs were less than spectacular.  Atilla on the other hand was at his leg humping pumped up best for most of the day because L. came to watch, which I really should ban as it sends Atilla off his tree. (And shuts Cruz down, LOL)  We managed a Q in Masters Agility and even came in 3rd which was nice, but it felt like a totally mechanical run to me as Atilla had one eye on L. and another on the judge, which just happened to be a judge that he knows and has a spectatcular crush on - having to stay with me and not being allowed to run up and jump on him must have really messed with his mind.  There was no real connection between us and it felt like he just went through the motions because he is a well trained dog.

The next Masters Agility run was one of those lovely runs where everything comes together - until the 2nd last obstacle that is, when someone outside the ring standing near L. called out, Atilla thought it was L. so he left the ring and started to go to him.  Sooooooo disappointed as it was a way better run than our first one, but that's agility.  Some more distraction work coming up I feel !  Yep- my bad that he's not proofed enough to totally ignore what's going on around him, stickybeak kelpie.

Last weekend we went to another trial that I won't name and shame, which turned out to be not one of my better ideas.  I usually enjoy this trial but after the weekend I don't think I will ever bother to enter there again. Total mess from start to end with catalogue errors, then an assembly steward taking it upon themselves to ditch catalogue order and move all their own club members up the line, despite the fact we were meant to be 5th dog in and had already warmed up and lined up.  Why not put them further up the catalogue then to begin with and avoid the chaos that ensued?   Disgustingly muddy ground meant I had one run with Atilla - who jumped out the weaves when I splashed him in the face as I ran beside him, sooky la-la kelpie- then I deemed it unsafe so pulled the pin and went home.  Their dogwalk also fell apart as the first dog in came off it which didn't exactly instil me with confidence - luckily it was a pretty bombproof dog and wasn't hurt or frightened.

I don't usually crack it like that but it really annoys me when clubs put the dollar before safety - although it's been a disappointing season with so many trials cancelled, I fully applaud those clubs that pulled the pin. 
What I don't get is the number of people that will still run their dogs in appalling conditions and continue to push hard the whole way round.  A friend who runs one of the fastest dogs going at the moment also pulled the pin and went home after walking the Masters ring but we were definitely the exceptions and I'm sure there were lots of 'sook' comments floating around.  Do people compromise their dog's safety for an agility run or are we just over cautious when it comes to our dogs ?  Guess that's a whole other topic in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment