Saturday, January 24, 2009

Time To Get Back to Training

Atilla has finished his treatment for a strained hamstring - diagnosed during his muscle therapy session - we've had a month off jumping, well, pretty much a month off everything, so time to get back to work.


We're going to run very short sequences for the next couple of weeks, training no more than 4 times a week, and then start building up from there. I still want to continue with some shaping plus work on his fitness - and mine- on the days we're not specifically doing agilty training.


Today I chose a sequence from the new Greg Derrett DVD - which was actually taken from the middle of a course diagram, but I wanted to focus on something that incorporated the cloth tunnel/chute. The training exercise on the DVD focused on which way to turn your dog after the jump before the tunnel, so we worked it with a front cross and also with various lead outs.





I worked it with a diagonal front cross between 2 and 3, then a threadle from 4 to 5. Also worked it with a lead out pivot on the close side of 4, then a push through at 4, plus with a lead out pivot on the far side of 4, turning around the opposite side of the jump than before.

Also tried it running from the start and a rear cross between 2 and 3 which actually worked a lot better than I thought it would with Atilla. Didn't try that one with Cruz as our rear crosses still need a lot more work driving down a diagonal line. My fault entirely as I haven't devoted a lot of training time to rear cross work, something that I will rectify this year - in between the hundred other things I want to do with him.

I have really missed training, even though I think it has been good for both kelpies to have some time off.

I am so looking forward to the Greg Derrett seminar next week - although the very high temperatures forecast make me glad I didn't apply for a working spot this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment